I refused Modi’s offer to rebuild Kedarnath temple: Bahuguna
Zee Media Bureau
Dehradun: Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna on Monday said that he turned down offer to rebuild Kedarnath shrine from his Gujarat counterpart Narendra Modi, adding that the temple will be rebuild by the state government, according to reports.
Last week Modi had met Vijay Bahuguna and offered to rebuild the Kedarnath temple complex, destroyed in the deluge.
Modi had tweeted about the rebuild proposition after his meeting with Uttarakhand CM Vijay Bahuguna. “Met Vijay Bahuguna ji. Conveyed to him that Gujarat is ready to take responsibility of renovating the Kedarnath temple complex,” he wrote on the micro-blogging site.
However, he said anyone was welcome to contribute funds for the reconstruction of the 8th century shrine that withstood the ravage of the cloudbursts and floods that swept away its neighbourhood and much of the town.
“The construction of temple, I am very firm, and I have made it clear that it will be constructed by the state government and the temple committee. Anybody who is coming forward to make donation is most welcome,” he said.
“I am not joining issue on this with any other state or any other leader or any party. Any state, any leader, any party in India or abroad who want to help in the reconstruction of the entire Kedarnath dhaam is welcome.
“This place is a nagar panchayat. So anyone who supports us in the bid to reconstruct and rebuild the entire Kedarnath dhaam is welcome. What we require is financial aid. We have manpower and engineers to do this,” he said.
Bahuguna said the state government and temple committee were open to suggestions, but the final decision in this regard will be taken by them.
On a visit to Uttarakhand last week, Mr. Modi had said the Gujarat government would take the responsibility of reconstructing the Kedarnath temple — one of the shrines of the ‘chaar dham’ pilgrimage which attracts pilgrims from all over the country.
“Kedarnath is a sentimental issue, a religious place. We have to see how much damage has been done to the temple. The ASI will do that,” the Uttarakhand Chief Minister said.
“Then there is pressure from saints and Hindu leaders that we should start pooja in the temple. How early we can do this is not known because we cannot reach Kedarnath by foot for at least a year. The Chief Minister said he was thankful for donations and relief material from all walks of life and places.
“We may have divergent views but our ultimate aim is to restore the damage done to infrastructure and provide better life to people of Uttarakhand,” Mr. Bahuguna said.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp