Nishank demands Rs 1000 cr green bonus for forest conservation
Dehra Dun: Uttarakhand Chief Minister Ramesh
Pokhriyal Nishank on Wednesday demanded Rs 1,000 crore `green bonus`
every year from the Centre for conservation of forests in the
"According to studies, conducted by various agencies,
forests in Uttarakhand provide ecological services worth Rs
35,000-Rs 40,000 crore to the country every year. So the
demand of Rs 1,000 crore green bonus per annum is nominal in
lieu of the services being provided by the state," he said.
The state needs the fund for conservation of forests and
environment, Nishank told reporters here.
The Chief Minister claimed he had raised the issue last
year with Union Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh to which
the Congress leader agreed in principle.
However, till now no progress has been made in this
connection, he alleged.
Nishank also criticised the Centre for not allotting
to the state in the ratio of 90:10, which "it should get for
being a special category state".
"The central funds under most of the schemes are being
given in the ratio of 67:33 for the last few years," he said.
He also sought change in forest norms for the hill state,
saying the current guidelines are affecting developmental
works. Under the current norms, if forest land is taken for
construction of road or any other project, the state has to
give double the size of the plot to forest department.
"Uttarakhand has only 35 per cent land for non-forestry
activities. These norms not only delays various developmental
schemes but also escalates the cost of the projects manifold,"
the chief minister said.
He also reiterated his demand of revival of Concessional
Industrial Package (CIP), which expired last year.
The package should be given till 2023 as after its expiry
the pace of industrial growth in the state has been slowed
down, Nishank said, adding that the average growth rate within
the concessional period from 2003-04 to 09-10 was 18 per cent
per annum which came down to 9.1 per cent during the post
On denial of more funds by the Centre for dealing with
the situation created due to natural disasters last year, the
CM said he has written to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh
demanding more assistance as Rs 500 crore Central aid was not
enough in view of the huge devastation caused by the natural
He also sought a separate Central fund for management of
large number of pilgrims visiting various religious places in
Nishank also demanded a separate Himalayan policy as well
as a ministry for dealing with the issues of hill states.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow