One killed in landslide in Uttarakhand, efforts on to trace Almora SDM
Dehradun: One person was killed and another severely injured in a landslide in Uttarakhand`s Pithoragarh district on Sunday even as efforts were intensified to trace Almora SDM Ajay Arora, who slipped off a makeshift bridge and fell into the Mandakini river five days back.
"A passerby was killed while another sustained serious injuries in a landslide triggered by rains near a mountain in Jhulaghat area of Pithoragarh," said officials of Uttarakhand Disaster Mitigation and Management Centre.
A team from the local administration rushed to the spot on getting information about the incident. Efforts were being made to ascertain the identity of the affected persons, they said.
Most areas of the state witnessed cloudy skies with MeT officials predicting rain. Light showers have been reported from few places in the state.
Meanwhile, attempts to search Almora SDM Ajay Arora continued on the fifth day today.
Trained PAC and NDRF divers have been combing Mandakini river at Sonprayag and Gaurikund in a bid to look for him, Rudraprayag District Disaster Management Officer, Meera Kaintura, said.
Arora slipped off the makeshift bridge and fell into the Mandakini which was is spate following heavy rains in Rudraprayag district on July 31.
Arora was returning to the Garurchatti base camp after taking stock of the relief operations, when the mishap occurred.
The attempts to provide relief material employing mules in the affected areas and repairing the damaged roads are also going on simultaneously.
So far, 418.3 quintals of foodstuff and gas cylinders has been distributed among the affected Chamoli, Uttarkashi, Rudraprayag and Pithoragarh districts, officials said.
In a relief measure to the affected farmers, the state government has decided to purchase their agricultural produce and would also be providing cash to buy mules to those relying on mules for their livelihood.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi