Plan Comm approves Uttarakhand`s Rs 8,200 cr outla
New Delhi: The Planning Commission on Monday approved Uttarakhand`s Rs 8,200 crore annual plan for 2012-13, which is over 5 per cent higher than the state`s outlay for previous fiscal.
The state annual plan for 2012-13 was finalised here at a meeting between the Commission`s Deputy Chairman Planning Montek Singh Ahluwalia and Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna.
Commenting on the state`s performance Ahluwalia said the Commission is fully aware of the infrastructure deficit in the state and their constraint to meet the cost of infrastructure development.
He said, the state need to further encourage private sector participation in infrastructure development which would help it tapping the potential in sectors like tourism while catalysing economic activity in all regions.
Attention was also drawn to problems in the human development, including dropout rate in education and minority welfare.
During the meeting the Chief Minister said only 18 percent persons are below poverty line in the state against 32.7 percent in 2004-05.
He said the 12th Five Year Plan will target the poverty and unemployment as the most serious challenges for the development planning in the state.
Infrastructure, agriculture & allied sectors, water & irrigation, industry, power, tourism, education & skill development and medical & health would be the major sectors to be focused during 12th Plan, he added.
There is strong case for developing a wide network of railways to all district as a strategic defence initiative, the Chief Minister stressed.
Similarly, there is a need to take up development of airports, airstrips and helipads as a strategic defence, tourist and disaster management initiative, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?