Portals of Kedarnath, Yamunotri closed
Dehra Dun: Portals of famous Hindu shrines
of Kedarnath and Yamunotri in Garhwal Himalayas were closed
for the winter period today for pilgrims.
Amid chanting of vedic hymns, the head priest of the
Kedarnath temple Viresh Ling locked the doors of the shrine at
0957 hrs in the presence of senior administrative and police
officials, SDM Ukhimath Prakash Chandra said.
During the closing ceremony, hundreds of devotees
thronged the Kedarnath, one of the twelve Jyotirlinga, braving
the chilly winds.
After the shrine closure, the idol of Lord Shiva, to
which the Kedarnath temple is dedicated, was carried in a
palanquin to Ukhimath area.
Another shrine of Yamunotri was also closed at 1100 hrs
today for winters with senior administrative officials as well
as pilgrims witnessing the closing ceremony.
Later, the idol of Goddess Yamuna was taken in a
palanquin to the nearby Kharsali village where it would be
worshipped during the winters.
Yesterday the portals of Gangotri temple were also
closed for winters, while another famous shrine of Badrinath
would be closed on November 17.
Badrinath in Chamoli district, Kedarnath in
Rudraprayag district, Gangotri and Yamunotri in Uttarkashi
district, collectively known as Chardham, are closed in
October-November every year as they remain snow-bound during
winters. The shrines will reopen in April-May next year for
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes