Probe into Haridwar stampede on, says Chidambaram
New Delhi: The magisterial enquiry ordered
into last month`s stampede at a `yagyna` in Haridwar is yet to
be completed, Home Minister P Chidambaram told Rajya Sabha
He said during Question Hour that 20 devotees, including
18 women, were killed in the November 8 stampede and 35 others
The District Magistrate had ordered a magisterial probe
the same day and a case was registered against the organisers
of the programme.
"Enquiry is still underway," Chidambaram said as
opposition BJP and AIADMK members shouted slogans against him
as part of their plan to boyocott him for his alleged role in
irregularities in allotment of 2G spectrum when he was the
He said it was not possible for him to say who was the
culprit behind the stampede as the enquiry is yet to be
"A compensation of Rs 2 lakh each was announced by the
state government to the next of kin of those killed," he
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical