Relief efforts get pace in Uttarakhand as rain stops
Dehradun: Relief operations in Uttarakhand got the much-needed pace as the weather cleared up on Saturday even as Almora SDM Ajay Arora, who fell into Mandakini river three days ago, remained untraced.
A 14-member team of trained PAC divers flown to scour the Mandakini in Sonprayag, Gaurikund and Phata areas in a bid to look for the SDM have not yet been able to find him, District Disaster Management Officer Meera Kaintura said.
A body was recovered from Mandakini yesterday but it was not that of the missing official, she said.
Police have been alerted and asked to comb the river close to the banks in search of the official who fell into the river while returning from the Himalayan shrine of Kedarnath to Garurchatti basecamp on Wednesday afternoon .
The weather cleared up at most places across Uttarakhand expediting relief operations but most of the rivers, including the Mandakini, Alaknanda and Bhagirathi, were in spate following heavy overnight rains.
However, it rained heavily in Dehradun this afternoon, leaving major roads in the city waterlogged.
Sporadic overnight rains continued bringing debris from the hills on to the roads blocking them at places.
The Rishikesh-Kedarnath highway is blocked due to debris at Sirubagad, Naulapani and Agastyamuni whereas Gopeshwar-Kund motorway is blocked at Mastura and Mayali-Guptkashi road obstructed at Sumadi, state Disaster Management and Mitigation Centre said, adding similar is the condition of Rishikesh-Badrinath highway in Chamoli and Rishikesh-Gangotri road in Uttarkashi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray