Uttarakhand CM to spend 2 more days at AIIMS after rough flight
New Delhi: The condition of Uttarakhand Chief Minister Harish Rawat is now stable after he was admitted to AIIMS last evening with pain in his neck and back following a rough helicopter ride.
However, officials at AIIMS said that Rawat would be kept under observation for two more days. In a statement today, Union Health Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan said that the chopper must have encountered air turbulence and, as Rawat`s seat belt was not properly attached, he banged his head against the roof.
The statement noted that Rawat had endured a Cervical 1 fracture and a Cervical Collar has been applied to his neck, but added that a doctor`s team will decide today after an MRI whether or not he needs a surgery.
"The Minister suffered a Cervical 1 fracture... There is no opinion about a surgery right now, all he has to do is apply the Collar. He will be kept under observation for two more days," said AIIMS spokesperson Amit Gupta.
Rawat was coming from Dehradun to Delhi last evening when his chopper ran into bad weather and had to reportedly make a sudden landing at Ved Niketan Swargashram.
"I came to know about the incident last night when I was attending a function. I rushed to AIIMS (after getting the news). By the time I reached, the X-ray and CT scan (on Rawat) had been already performed.
"There was no evidence of head injury in his CT scan, but there a fracture in his C1 vertebra. When I spoke to him at night, he told me he had tied the seat belt loosely because of which his head hit the roof almost four times as the helicopter met turbulence," Vardhan said.
"We have seen the tragic death of (Gopinath) Munde-ji, who could have been saved had he worn the seat belt. RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat was saved because he was wearing a seat belt," Vardhan said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh