Uttarakhand CM to spend 2 more days at AIIMS after rough flight
New Delhi: The condition of Uttarakhand Chief Minister Harish Rawat is now stable after he was admitted to AIIMS last evening with pain in his neck and back following a rough helicopter ride.
However, officials at AIIMS said that Rawat would be kept under observation for two more days. In a statement today, Union Health Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan said that the chopper must have encountered air turbulence and, as Rawat`s seat belt was not properly attached, he banged his head against the roof.
The statement noted that Rawat had endured a Cervical 1 fracture and a Cervical Collar has been applied to his neck, but added that a doctor`s team will decide today after an MRI whether or not he needs a surgery.
"The Minister suffered a Cervical 1 fracture... There is no opinion about a surgery right now, all he has to do is apply the Collar. He will be kept under observation for two more days," said AIIMS spokesperson Amit Gupta.
Rawat was coming from Dehradun to Delhi last evening when his chopper ran into bad weather and had to reportedly make a sudden landing at Ved Niketan Swargashram.
"I came to know about the incident last night when I was attending a function. I rushed to AIIMS (after getting the news). By the time I reached, the X-ray and CT scan (on Rawat) had been already performed.
"There was no evidence of head injury in his CT scan, but there a fracture in his C1 vertebra. When I spoke to him at night, he told me he had tied the seat belt loosely because of which his head hit the roof almost four times as the helicopter met turbulence," Vardhan said.
"We have seen the tragic death of (Gopinath) Munde-ji, who could have been saved had he worn the seat belt. RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat was saved because he was wearing a seat belt," Vardhan said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed