Uttarakhand govt tables Lokayukta Bill in Assembly
Dehra Dun: The Uttarakhand government on Monday
tabled in the Assembly the Lokayukta Bill bringing under its
purview the Chief Minister, ministers and government servants,
including IAS and IPS officers, and with a provision for
punishment extending up to life imprisonment.
Chief Minister B C Khanduri tabled the "Uttarakhand
Lokayukta Bill, 2011" in the Assembly as the session resumed
after a month-long recess.
Soon after taking over as the Chief Minister on
September 11 this year, Khanduri had announced to bring a
stronger and an effective Lokayukta Bill within two months.
Lower judiciary will be covered under the Lokayukta while
judges of the Uttarakhand High Court will not come under its
Former Chief Ministers, former ministers and retired
officers will also be under purview of the Lokayukta.
The Bill envisages that for any act of corruption, the
punishment shall not be less than six months of rigorous
imprisonment and may extend up to imprisonment of ten years.
In the rarest of rare cases, the punishment may be
extended up to life imprisonment.
The Lokayukta will consist of a chairperson and five
members with a scope of increasing the number to seven as per
the need and requirement.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!