Uttarakhand govt tables Lokayukta Bill in Assembly
Dehra Dun: The Uttarakhand government on Monday
tabled in the Assembly the Lokayukta Bill bringing under its
purview the Chief Minister, ministers and government servants,
including IAS and IPS officers, and with a provision for
punishment extending up to life imprisonment.
Chief Minister B C Khanduri tabled the "Uttarakhand
Lokayukta Bill, 2011" in the Assembly as the session resumed
after a month-long recess.
Soon after taking over as the Chief Minister on
September 11 this year, Khanduri had announced to bring a
stronger and an effective Lokayukta Bill within two months.
Lower judiciary will be covered under the Lokayukta while
judges of the Uttarakhand High Court will not come under its
Former Chief Ministers, former ministers and retired
officers will also be under purview of the Lokayukta.
The Bill envisages that for any act of corruption, the
punishment shall not be less than six months of rigorous
imprisonment and may extend up to imprisonment of ten years.
In the rarest of rare cases, the punishment may be
extended up to life imprisonment.
The Lokayukta will consist of a chairperson and five
members with a scope of increasing the number to seven as per
the need and requirement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!