Kolkata: At least 27 workers were taken ill
after "increased emission" of carbon monoxide and methane from
a blast furnace of Durgapur Steel Plant this morning, a day
after a chlorine gas leak in Bombay Port Trust landed over
hundred people in hospital.
Out of the affected workers, 24 were admitted in Durgapur
Steel Plant (DSP) hospital where the condition of four was
stated to be critical, chief of communications of DSP, B
Kanungo said, adding they have been shifted to ICU.
Denying it to be a case of gas leak, Kanungo said the
workers felt uncomfortable near the furnace due to "increased
concentration of the gases".
Burdwan District Magistrate, Onkar Singh Meena, too said
there was no leakage inside the Steel Authority of India
Limited (SAIL)-owned plant.
The affected workers were immediately shifted from the
place and taken to the hospital. The situation was under
control, Meena said.
At least 120 people were taken ill yesterday when they
inhaled chlorine gas which leaked from one of the imported
cylinders lying on Bombay Port Trust`s (BPT) Hay Bandar
premises for 13 years.