3.5 lakh take the holy dip at Gangasagar
Sagar Islands: Around 3.5 lakh devotees took a holy dip in the Ganga Sunday on the eve of Makar Sankranti at the confluence of the river and the Bay of Bengal here.
"Around 3.5 lakh devotees took the holy dip in Ganga today (Sunday). About 50,000 more pilgrims are expected to come for the Sankranti on Monday," said South 24 Parganas`s Superintendent of Police Pravin Tripathi.
"We have made elaborate arrangements not only for the peaceful conduct of the fair but also to ensure the devotees get proper facilities," he added.
About 150 km from Kolkata in South 24-Parganas district, this island is considered auspicious by the Hindus, who gather here on Makar Sankranti, annually celebrated Jan 14, for a holy dip and to pray by offering coconuts at the Kapil Muni temple.
The devout believe that a single dip in the sacred water washes off sins of one`s lifetime.
The government has made all arrangements including adequate security for a peaceful conduct of the fair.
Several state ministers including Public Health Engineering Minister Subrata Mukherjee are camping at the island to supervise the arrangements.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand