Agitation continues, life hit in Darejeeling Hills
Darjeeling: Normal life was paralysed in the Darjeeling Hills as the indefinite agitation for a separate state of Gorkhaland entered the sixth day Monday even as 53 GJM members were taken into custody.
While 27 were arrested in connection with old cases, the remaining were preventive arrests. With the fresh arrests, the total number of those taken into custody has risen to 808, police said.
The West Bengal government was also distributing rice and flour at 11 outlets in Darjeeling, Kurseong and Kalimpong subdivisions, officials said.
A total of 15 quintal of rice and 5 quintal of flour had reached the outlets last night. The indefinite stir and shut down in the hills have forced closure of markets and shops.
Meanwhile, GJM President Bimal Gurung has urged school students to take out rallies in Darjeeling for five days from August 27 demanding a separate state of Gorkhaland, though other constituents of the Gorkhaland Joint Action Committee have decided in principle to keep schools and colleges out of the ambit of the current agitation.
Gurung, in an appeal to parents of school children aged between 12 and 18 years, urged them to allow their wards to take part in rallies.
Schools in the hills have been closed mostly since July 29, when the agitation began.Gurung also urged children to raise the the statehood issue on social media.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read