Attacks on BJP cadre: Five-member team to visit WB on Saturday
New Delhi: A five-member BJP team will visit West Bengal tomorrow to assess the ground situation in the wake of complaints of attacks on party workers, reports said on Friday.
According to sources, BJP Vice Presidents and MPs SS Ahluwalia and Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi, along with national spokesperson and New Delhi MP Meenakshi Lekhi, will leave for West Bengal to assess the ground situation there.
The two other members of the team are newly-elected BJP MP from Asansol, Babul Supriyo, and Siddharth Nath Singh, the BJP`s co-in-charge of party affairs in West Bengal.
There have been recent reports of continued attacks on BJP workers in West Bengal, allegedly by Trinamool Congress cadre, after the party`s good performance at the hustings.
The West Bengal unit of BJP has claimed that more than 200 of its workers have been injured in post-poll violence. It has told the state government that unless it maintains law and order, it would seek the governor`s intervention.
The ruling Trinamool Congress has denied these charges and accused BJP of fomenting violence.
State BJP has also requested Home Minister Rajnath Singh to send a central team to Sandeshkhali of South 24 Parganas district to look into violent attacks on its workers allegedly by Trinamool Congress workers.
State BJP leaders have alleged that Trinamool `goons` attacked their workers as they were celebrating Prime Minister Narendra Modi`s swearing-in on Monday.
BJP has won two Lok seats in West Bengal-- Ahluwalia in Darjeeling and Supriyo in Asansol.
The party also saw a rise in its vote share in the state in the just-concluded Lok Sabha polls as it got 16.8 per cent votes, a little behind 22.7 per cent of CPI(M) and 39.3 per cent of Trinamool Congress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city