Bandh relaxed for two days in Darjeeling hills
Darjeeling: The indefinite bandh in three hill sub-divisions of Darjeeling was lifted for two days beginning Monday with the Gorkha Joint Action Committee slated to review its future course of action.
GJAC sources the bandh had been relaxed to enable people to procure provisions and to enable boarders to return to schools. The Gorkha Joint Action Committee is slated to review its future course of action tomorrow.
Locals have been facing hardship with foodstocks diminishing and petrol pumps in the hills going dry due to the bandh.
Banks, post offices, central and state government offices reopened today, officials said.
Nearly 65 trucks trundled into Darjeeling and Kalimpong towns carrying foodstuff and supplies such as rice, lentil, meat and fish from Siliguri market.
Light vehicles plied from Darjeeling to Siliguri in the plains. A 20-member tourist party caught, in the Gorkhaland agitation in Darjeeling, left for Siliguri this morning.
Boarding school students from different areas, who had stayed overnight at Siliguri, made their way back to their hostels in the hills this morning. Schools are slated to reopen on September 13.
The bandh, in force from July 29, to revive the demand for a separate Gorkhaland in the wake of the Centre`s decision on Telangana, had earlier been lifted for a day on August 31.
It was again clamped prior to the West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee`s visit to the hills on September 2 and 3 where she was felicitated by the Lepcha community.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof