Bengal Congress to `wait and watch` on PM`s TMC tie-up hint
Kolkata: The West Bengal Congress will adopt a "wait and watch policy" on Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s observation that an electoral alliance with TMC in the upcoming Lok Sabha polls is not ruled out.
Party leader Manas Bhunia today said that no communication in this regard had reached the party unit in West Bengal yet, but the party would watch the development.
"We have not yet received any direction in this regard from the AICC. We are only asked to strengthen the party organisation in the state. We shall rather wait and watch the development," Bhunia, a former WBPCC president, told PTI here.
Describing it as "nothing surprising", Bhunia said the Prime Minister had rightly expressed his mind stressing the need for a strong and secular democratic government at the Centre keeping the communal forces at bay.
"It is not at all surprising, because its obvious that PM has expressed his mind advocating a strong Centre with secular democratic forces in the interest of the country," Bhunia said.
Asked if the Congress would seek an alliance with the Trinamool Congress for the parliamentary election, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on his way back from the G20 summit in St Petersburg yesterday said he did not rule out an alliance with the erstwhile ally in the future. "In politics there are no permanent enemies and permanent friends," Singh said.
Appreciating PM`s observation on Mamata Banerjee, Bhunia said, "The PM has rightly said we had an alliance with Mamata Banerjee and she was an important member in the Union Cabinet."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed