Bengal DGP summoned by Calcutta High Court in Parui case
Kolkata: The Calcutta High Court today summoned the West Bengal Director General of Police on September 4 to explain why chargesheet was filed in the Parui murder case, in which an independent panchayat member was murdered and a district Trinamool Congress leader was an accused, in apparent haste.
Justice Harish Tandon directed the DGP, who is heading a Special Investigation Team appointed by the high court to probe the murder case, to appear before the court on September 4 to explain why chargesheet in the case was filed without the leave of the court.
The chargesheet was filed in the case by SIT before the Suri district court last month.
Justice Tandon observed that as the SIT was appointed by the high court and the developments were being monitored by it, the probe team was supposed to take its leave before filing the chargesheet.
Anubrata Mondal, the Birbhum district president of Trinamool Congress is one of the 41 accused in the murder of Sagar Ghosh, who had fought the panchayat elections in 2013 as an independent after reportedly being denied a ticket by TMC.
The DGP had earlier been asked to appear before the high court by Justice Dipankar Dutta in a different context.
Justice Dutta had asked the DGP to appear before his court on April 11 to explain what action the state police had taken against Mondal even as he was seen in proximity with the high and mighty of the state in photographs published in newspapers.
This was challenged by the state before a division bench which directed that the DGP need not be summoned at that stage.
The matter was then assigned to Justice Tandon who is hearing the case at present.
The son of Sagar Ghosh moved the high court in December last seeking a fair and independent probe.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical