Bengal DGP summoned by Calcutta High Court in Parui case
Kolkata: The Calcutta High Court today summoned the West Bengal Director General of Police on September 4 to explain why chargesheet was filed in the Parui murder case, in which an independent panchayat member was murdered and a district Trinamool Congress leader was an accused, in apparent haste.
Justice Harish Tandon directed the DGP, who is heading a Special Investigation Team appointed by the high court to probe the murder case, to appear before the court on September 4 to explain why chargesheet in the case was filed without the leave of the court.
The chargesheet was filed in the case by SIT before the Suri district court last month.
Justice Tandon observed that as the SIT was appointed by the high court and the developments were being monitored by it, the probe team was supposed to take its leave before filing the chargesheet.
Anubrata Mondal, the Birbhum district president of Trinamool Congress is one of the 41 accused in the murder of Sagar Ghosh, who had fought the panchayat elections in 2013 as an independent after reportedly being denied a ticket by TMC.
The DGP had earlier been asked to appear before the high court by Justice Dipankar Dutta in a different context.
Justice Dutta had asked the DGP to appear before his court on April 11 to explain what action the state police had taken against Mondal even as he was seen in proximity with the high and mighty of the state in photographs published in newspapers.
This was challenged by the state before a division bench which directed that the DGP need not be summoned at that stage.
The matter was then assigned to Justice Tandon who is hearing the case at present.
The son of Sagar Ghosh moved the high court in December last seeking a fair and independent probe.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!