Bengal legislators record `alarming` increase in assets
Kolkata: The wealth of West Bengal legislators recontesting the Assembly polls has increased at an "alarming rate" and, in one case, by an astonishing 86,030 percent, according to a study by an election watchdog.
"After making a comparative study of assets of the legislators as declared by them during 2006 and recently while filing their nominations for the first and second phase of assembly polls, it was found that their assets have grown at an alarming rate, in most cases in over 100 percent," said coordinator of West Bengal Election Watch (WBEW) Biplab Halim.
In the first phase, 23 legislators are recontesting. Their average assets in 2006 were around Rs 21 lakh, while in 2011, they have increased to over Rs 34 lakh.
In the second phase, 28 legislators are re-contesting whose average assets in 2006 were around Rs 13.7 lakh. Now, it has increased to Rs 30.1 lakh.
According to the study, among the recontesting legislators in the first phase, Dasarath Tirkey of Revolutionary Socialist party (RSP) tops the list in terms of percentage increase of assets.
In 2006, he had assets worth Rs 115,654, this time it`s worth Rs 1,066,293, an increase of 822 percent! Tirkey was followed Mafuja Khatun of CPI-M (Communist Party of India-Marxist) with 605 percent, Akshay Thakur of Forward Bloc with 560 percent and Biswanath Chowdhury of RSP with 309 percent respectively.
"In rupee terms, the maximum growth in assets has been for Minister for Correctional Homes Biswanath Chowdhury of RSP. His assets have grown by over Rs 4,381,418. He is followed by CPI (Communist Party of India) nominee Sreekumar Mukherjee (Rs 4,335,137), Akshay Thakur (Rs 4,138,341) and Tamser Ali of CPI-M (Rs 3,287,202 lakh)," said Halim.
In the second phase, the average assets of the 28 re-contesting candidates as declared in their affidavits are Rs 3,002,183. In 2006, they are Rs 13,66,791, a growth of over 120 percent.
"In rupee terms, the maximum growth in assets has been for Apurbu Sarkar of Congress. His assets in 2006 were Rs 765,762 and in 2011, it has jumped to Rs 13,956,850, an increase of 1,723 percent! He is followed by Mainul Haque and Abu Hena of Congress, and Anisur Rahaman of CPI-M," said Malay Sengupta, former Chief Justice (Sikkim High Court), who is also an executive member of WBEW.
"In percentage, the maximum increase in assets was recorded by Bivas Chakraborty of Forward Bloc. His assets have grown by 86,030 percent. He is followed by Kallol Khan of Trinamool with 6,448 percent growth and Subenoy Ghosh of CPI-M with 2,923 percent," said Halim.
The study also revealed that altogether five legislators out of 51 contesting in first and second phases have recorded decrease in their assets, compared to their previous declaration.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA