Bengal minor commits suicide after harassment
Kolkata: Unable to bear the constant harassment and threats by a man, a minor in West Bengal Friday committed suicide by setting herself on fire, police said.
Following a dying declaration by the victim, the accused was arrested.
The incident took place in Ketugram, some 170 km from Kolkata.
"The accused used to harass and threaten her continuously for the last few days. Last night (Thursday), finding her alone, he entered her house and molested her. Unable to bear it, the girl today (Friday) set herself ablaze and later succumbed to her injuries," Superintendent of Police SMH Meerza said.
"On the basis of her dying statement, we arrested the accused who is her neighbour," he added.
Meerza rubbished claims by the victim`s family that the girl was raped.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Islamic State bombings in southern Yemen kill 38
- UK pensions minister Crabb considering bid to succeed PM Cameron: Report
- Special panel on India's NSG membership bid? We're not aware, says China
- Ruby Rai, Bihar Class 12 topper now under arrest for cheating, says she never wanted to top the exam
- Euro 2016: Iceland stun England in one of greatest ever shocks