Bengal minor commits suicide after harassment
Kolkata: Unable to bear the constant harassment and threats by a man, a minor in West Bengal Friday committed suicide by setting herself on fire, police said.
Following a dying declaration by the victim, the accused was arrested.
The incident took place in Ketugram, some 170 km from Kolkata.
"The accused used to harass and threaten her continuously for the last few days. Last night (Thursday), finding her alone, he entered her house and molested her. Unable to bear it, the girl today (Friday) set herself ablaze and later succumbed to her injuries," Superintendent of Police SMH Meerza said.
"On the basis of her dying statement, we arrested the accused who is her neighbour," he added.
Meerza rubbished claims by the victim`s family that the girl was raped.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?