Bengal minor commits suicide after harassment
Kolkata: Unable to bear the constant harassment and threats by a man, a minor in West Bengal Friday committed suicide by setting herself on fire, police said.
Following a dying declaration by the victim, the accused was arrested.
The incident took place in Ketugram, some 170 km from Kolkata.
"The accused used to harass and threaten her continuously for the last few days. Last night (Thursday), finding her alone, he entered her house and molested her. Unable to bear it, the girl today (Friday) set herself ablaze and later succumbed to her injuries," Superintendent of Police SMH Meerza said.
"On the basis of her dying statement, we arrested the accused who is her neighbour," he added.
Meerza rubbished claims by the victim`s family that the girl was raped.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’