Bengal minor commits suicide after harassment
Kolkata: Unable to bear the constant harassment and threats by a man, a minor in West Bengal Friday committed suicide by setting herself on fire, police said.
Following a dying declaration by the victim, the accused was arrested.
The incident took place in Ketugram, some 170 km from Kolkata.
"The accused used to harass and threaten her continuously for the last few days. Last night (Thursday), finding her alone, he entered her house and molested her. Unable to bear it, the girl today (Friday) set herself ablaze and later succumbed to her injuries," Superintendent of Police SMH Meerza said.
"On the basis of her dying statement, we arrested the accused who is her neighbour," he added.
Meerza rubbished claims by the victim`s family that the girl was raped.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch
- In Pics: Indian Super League 2015 opening ceremony!