Bengal not in hurry to ban gutka
Even though 14 states have banned `gutka`, a tobacco-laced chewing mix, West Bengal, with 21.9 percent of its population addicted to smokeless tobacco, is in no hurry to follow suit.
"The chief minister (Mamata Banerjee) has earlier raised concern over the issue and expressed willingness to ban gutka. To implement a ban, we need to pass a legislation which will take time," state Health Minister Chandrima Bhattacharyya told a news agency.
"The health department alone cannot impose a ban. The decision has to be made by the cabinet," she said.
"The government is aware about the ill effects of gutka and is seriously considering banning it. But it will take time. There are procedures to follow and it cannot be done in a hurry," Public Health Engineering Minister Subrata Mukherjee told a news agency.
According to Global Adult Tobacco Survey (GATS) 2009-10, 36.3 percent of Bengal`s population, with 52.3 percent males and 19.3 females, are tobacco users.
It says 25.8 percent of males and 17.8 percent of females are addicted to smokeless tobacco, mostly gutka.
A public interest litigation has been filed before the Calcutta High Court by Doctors For You (DFY), an NGO, seeking a ban on gutka.
"Despite having scientific information that such products cause cancer, the government has failed in its constitutional duty to protect the health of the general public," Rajat Jain of DFY told told a news agency..
"In Bengal, tobacco addicts are initiated into this habit at the ages of 18-19. Although over 85 percent of adults believe that smoking and smokeless tobacco products cause serious diseases, most tobacco addicts are unable to quit because these products are freely available," he said, quoting GATS.
Fourteen states, including Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh and Bihar, have banned the sale, manufacture and distribution of `gutka` under the Food Safety and Standards Regulations (2011) that bans food articles containing tobacco.
Assam, Tamil Nadu and Odisha are considering prohibiting gutka.
The Andhra Pradesh High Court has also issued a notification for ban on gutka in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015