Bengal ragging death: CPI-M demands probe
Kolkata: The CPI-on M Sunday demanded a probe into the death of a minor student after she was ragged, and urged the West Bengal government to take steps against those responsible for vandalising a school after the girl`s death.
Oindrila Das, a Class 5 student died Wednesday, a week after she was allegedly locked up inside the school toilet by some seniors who demanded money from her.
A day later, hundreds of people, mostly parents, ransacked the 131-year-old Christ Church School in Dum Dum in North 24 Parganas district, put the principal and other teachers inside a dark room and eventually forced principal Helen Sarkar to resign.
"The attack on the educational institution is unwarranted. We urge the government to take immediate steps and arrest those responsible for the vandalism," Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) leader Surjya Kanta Mishra said.
With the help of video footage, the guilty should be identified and apprehended, said Mishra.
Mishra, leader of opposition in the state assembly, visited the dead girl`s family.
He demanded a thorough probe into the circumstances that led to the girl`s death.
He endorsed the family`s allegation of medical negligence against a private nursing home which had last treated Oindrila before her death.
"After talking to the family, I feel there are reasons to believe that there may be medical negligence on the part of the nursing home," Mishra said.
Meanwhile, nine more people, including two women, were arrested since Saturday night, taking the total number of arrests in the vandalism case to 12.
While a court remanded three people arrested earlier to three days` police custody, the nine fresh arrestees have also been presented before a court.
The Congress too has condemned the vandalism and demanded arrest of those guilty.
The principal is facing prosecution under a number of non-bailable charges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video