Bengal SEC chief receives threat letters, govt assures inquiry
Kolkata: West Bengal State Election Commissioner Mira Pandey has claimed to have received three threatening letters, following which state Home Secretary said the government would inquire into the matter.
"I received a letter from her (State Election Commissioner) which seeks to draw state government`s attention to her receiving three letters which contain allegations against her and threats," state Home Secretary Basudeb Banerjee told a news agency today.
Banerjee said the state government would inquire into the matter.
Asked if the Commissioner had sought further protection in view of the letters she had received, the Home Secretary said "security is tight for her and we will look into it".
Even as the Election Commissioner herself and Commission Secretary Tapas Roy were not available for comment, Commission sources said that the letters were "threatening in nature" to Mira Pandey "presumably for her stand on the holding of panchayat elections in the state".
"The Commissioner sought to ignore, but later preferred to write to the state Home Secretary when she received the third such threatening letter," sources said.
State Panchayat Minister Subrata Mukherjee said that the state home department was looking into the matter.
"I read in the newspapers about it and state home department has been looking into the matter", he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal