BJP workers demonstrate before La Martiniere school
Kolkata: BJP activists on Monday demonstrated in front of La Martiniere for Boys School here demanding dismissal of its principal for caning a student which
allegedly led him commit suicide.
Demanding strict action against school principal Sunirmal Chakraborty, about 40 BJP activists shouted slogans and jostled with the police which prevented them from storming the premises.
West Bengal BJP secretary Ritesh Tewari demanded that the the state government file a criminal case against Chakraborty in connection with the incident.
13-year-old Rouvan Rawla, a student of La Martiniere, had allegedly committed suicide by hanging himself at his home after being caned by the school principal on February 12 for indiscipline, according to a complaint lodged by the father of the child.
The charges were being investigated by the Kolkata Police and the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR).
The state government had announced last week that it was planning to set up an appropriate body to deal with the issue of corporal punishment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?- Part V
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!