BJP workers demonstrate before La Martiniere school
Kolkata: BJP activists on Monday demonstrated in front of La Martiniere for Boys School here demanding dismissal of its principal for caning a student which
allegedly led him commit suicide.
Demanding strict action against school principal Sunirmal Chakraborty, about 40 BJP activists shouted slogans and jostled with the police which prevented them from storming the premises.
West Bengal BJP secretary Ritesh Tewari demanded that the the state government file a criminal case against Chakraborty in connection with the incident.
13-year-old Rouvan Rawla, a student of La Martiniere, had allegedly committed suicide by hanging himself at his home after being caned by the school principal on February 12 for indiscipline, according to a complaint lodged by the father of the child.
The charges were being investigated by the Kolkata Police and the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR).
The state government had announced last week that it was planning to set up an appropriate body to deal with the issue of corporal punishment.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'