BJP workers demonstrate before La Martiniere school
Kolkata: BJP activists on Monday demonstrated in front of La Martiniere for Boys School here demanding dismissal of its principal for caning a student which
allegedly led him commit suicide.
Demanding strict action against school principal Sunirmal Chakraborty, about 40 BJP activists shouted slogans and jostled with the police which prevented them from storming the premises.
West Bengal BJP secretary Ritesh Tewari demanded that the the state government file a criminal case against Chakraborty in connection with the incident.
13-year-old Rouvan Rawla, a student of La Martiniere, had allegedly committed suicide by hanging himself at his home after being caned by the school principal on February 12 for indiscipline, according to a complaint lodged by the father of the child.
The charges were being investigated by the Kolkata Police and the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR).
The state government had announced last week that it was planning to set up an appropriate body to deal with the issue of corporal punishment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical