BJP workers demonstrate before La Martiniere school
Kolkata: BJP activists on Monday demonstrated in front of La Martiniere for Boys School here demanding dismissal of its principal for caning a student which
allegedly led him commit suicide.
Demanding strict action against school principal Sunirmal Chakraborty, about 40 BJP activists shouted slogans and jostled with the police which prevented them from storming the premises.
West Bengal BJP secretary Ritesh Tewari demanded that the the state government file a criminal case against Chakraborty in connection with the incident.
13-year-old Rouvan Rawla, a student of La Martiniere, had allegedly committed suicide by hanging himself at his home after being caned by the school principal on February 12 for indiscipline, according to a complaint lodged by the father of the child.
The charges were being investigated by the Kolkata Police and the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR).
The state government had announced last week that it was planning to set up an appropriate body to deal with the issue of corporal punishment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country would not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh