BSF jawans accused of torturing, suspended
Baharampur: Five BSF personnel, four of them constables, were suspended Wednesday evening after a video footage showed the guards as thrashing a Bangladeshi cattle smuggler at Raninagar outpost near Indo-Bangla border in Murshidabad district.
BSF sources said the four constables and one havildar had been put under suspension for their alleged involvement in the severe assault of the Bangladeshi, with hands tied-up from behind, who was detained after some cattle were seized from him near the outpost three days back.
The action followed after showing of a video clip in some local news channels which purportedly showed the youth being repeatedly punched and hit with club in an almost naked
condition by some of the personnel.
The sources said a high level probe has been ordered into the incident.
The youth was later pushed back to the other side of the border.
The video was apparently shot by some of those present at the site after the border guards seized 80 cattle and four-five Bangladeshis `smugglers` three days back, the village head said.
While one of the alleged smugglers was singled out for such `treatment`, the others were also pushed back later and the cattle seized.
West Bengal Fisheries Minister and MLA from the district Abu Hena slammed the act and demanded punishment for the accused personnel.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- US, UN condemn Syria hospital bombing in war-ravaged Aleppo
- F-16 to boost precision strike capability in anti-terror operations: Pakistan
- UN Security Council readies North Korea missile test reply
- US Vice President Joe Biden on surprise visit to Iraq
- Panama papers scandal: Russia to join global fight against tax evasion