BSF jawans accused of torturing, suspended
Baharampur: Five BSF personnel, four of them constables, were suspended Wednesday evening after a video footage showed the guards as thrashing a Bangladeshi cattle smuggler at Raninagar outpost near Indo-Bangla border in Murshidabad district.
BSF sources said the four constables and one havildar had been put under suspension for their alleged involvement in the severe assault of the Bangladeshi, with hands tied-up from behind, who was detained after some cattle were seized from him near the outpost three days back.
The action followed after showing of a video clip in some local news channels which purportedly showed the youth being repeatedly punched and hit with club in an almost naked
condition by some of the personnel.
The sources said a high level probe has been ordered into the incident.
The youth was later pushed back to the other side of the border.
The video was apparently shot by some of those present at the site after the border guards seized 80 cattle and four-five Bangladeshis `smugglers` three days back, the village head said.
While one of the alleged smugglers was singled out for such `treatment`, the others were also pushed back later and the cattle seized.
West Bengal Fisheries Minister and MLA from the district Abu Hena slammed the act and demanded punishment for the accused personnel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Anna Hazare extends support to ex-servicemen over OROP protests
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar