Cal HC gives direction for holding of polls to Medical Council
Kolkata: The Calcutta High Court on Wednesday directed that elections to the West Bengal Medical Council be held within six months.
Taking up a PIL by People for Better Treatment (PBT), a division bench comprising Chief Justice Arun Mishra and Justice Joymalyo Bagchi directed that the elections must be held within six months from today to establish a new medical council for the state.
The bench directed that the process of election must be started within the next six weeks and asked the state government to provide necessary assistance for holding of the polls for electing a new body.
PBT president Dr Kunal Saha submitted that though the elections were due since 2010, an ad hoc committee had been appointed by the government to run the council.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- This is how Dr APJ Abdul Kalam looked when he was a kid!
- Govt reviews porn ban order, blocks only child pornography-related websites
- Yakub Memon's last words before he was hanged - 'I pardon you'
- 'Idiots are lined up at every step': Young IAS officer's fight against sexual harassment