CBI to form SIT to probe Rs 10,000 cr Saradha chit fund scam
New Delhi: The CBI will form a Special Investigation Team (SIT) soon to probe the Saradha chit fund scam in which investors in West Bengal, Odisha and Assam were allegedly duped of Rs 10,000 crore besides examining the role of market regulators like SEBI and RBI.
"We will form the SIT as soon as the legalities in the case are finalised," CBI Director Ranjit Sinha said here on Sunday.
Official sources said the SIT is expected to be formed soon.
The Supreme Court ordered a CBI probe on Friday on a PIL and asked the three state police forces to cooperate with the CBI investigation.
The CBI will also look into the role of regulators like SEBI, authorities under the Companies Act and the Reserve Bank of India(RBI) as directed by the apex court.
The court in its order had pointed out that there was yet another aspect which relates to the role of the regulatory authorities.
"Investigation conducted so far puts a question mark on the role of regulatory authorities like SEBI, Registrar of Companies and officials of the RBI within whose respective jurisdictions and areas of operation the scam not only took birth but flourished unhindered," a bench headed by Justice TS Thakur said in its order.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore