CCTV footage suggests SFI leader`s death an accident: Derek
Kolkata: Claiming that the police had no role in the death of SFI student Sudipta Gupta, Trinamool Congress MP Derek O`Brien said on Wednesday that CCTV footage suggested that it was an accident.
"Let me categorically state that the police in West Bengal had a mandate from 1977 till 2011 to filter all their actions through a political prism. Thankfully in the last twenty months, that mandate has been changed. So, they can work without any political pressure. Some of the CCTV footage suggest that this is an accident," Derek said.
"Any accidental death is regrettable and tragic. When a precious young person`s life is snuffed out, the loss is even bigger for our society," he said.
"We cannot bring the boy back sadly but what we can do is to stand by his family in their moment of grief and in the future," Derek said.
CPI(M) alleged Gupta died of injuries suffered in a lathi-charge while the police claimed it was an accident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah