CCTV footage suggests SFI leader`s death an accident: Derek
Kolkata: Claiming that the police had no role in the death of SFI student Sudipta Gupta, Trinamool Congress MP Derek O`Brien said on Wednesday that CCTV footage suggested that it was an accident.
"Let me categorically state that the police in West Bengal had a mandate from 1977 till 2011 to filter all their actions through a political prism. Thankfully in the last twenty months, that mandate has been changed. So, they can work without any political pressure. Some of the CCTV footage suggest that this is an accident," Derek said.
"Any accidental death is regrettable and tragic. When a precious young person`s life is snuffed out, the loss is even bigger for our society," he said.
"We cannot bring the boy back sadly but what we can do is to stand by his family in their moment of grief and in the future," Derek said.
CPI(M) alleged Gupta died of injuries suffered in a lathi-charge while the police claimed it was an accident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- Caught on camera: Woman stealing cell phone in store
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Panel discussion on Kejriwal's poisonous radio ad on Dadri incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!