CCTV footage suggests SFI leader`s death an accident: Derek
Kolkata: Claiming that the police had no role in the death of SFI student Sudipta Gupta, Trinamool Congress MP Derek O`Brien said on Wednesday that CCTV footage suggested that it was an accident.
"Let me categorically state that the police in West Bengal had a mandate from 1977 till 2011 to filter all their actions through a political prism. Thankfully in the last twenty months, that mandate has been changed. So, they can work without any political pressure. Some of the CCTV footage suggest that this is an accident," Derek said.
"Any accidental death is regrettable and tragic. When a precious young person`s life is snuffed out, the loss is even bigger for our society," he said.
"We cannot bring the boy back sadly but what we can do is to stand by his family in their moment of grief and in the future," Derek said.
CPI(M) alleged Gupta died of injuries suffered in a lathi-charge while the police claimed it was an accident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown