CCTV footage suggests SFI leader`s death an accident: Derek
Kolkata: Claiming that the police had no role in the death of SFI student Sudipta Gupta, Trinamool Congress MP Derek O`Brien said on Wednesday that CCTV footage suggested that it was an accident.
"Let me categorically state that the police in West Bengal had a mandate from 1977 till 2011 to filter all their actions through a political prism. Thankfully in the last twenty months, that mandate has been changed. So, they can work without any political pressure. Some of the CCTV footage suggest that this is an accident," Derek said.
"Any accidental death is regrettable and tragic. When a precious young person`s life is snuffed out, the loss is even bigger for our society," he said.
"We cannot bring the boy back sadly but what we can do is to stand by his family in their moment of grief and in the future," Derek said.
CPI(M) alleged Gupta died of injuries suffered in a lathi-charge while the police claimed it was an accident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part IV
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Graft case: Court seeks CBI's reply on accused bail plea
- Aussie legend Craig McDermott hails Ishant Sharma as a real workhorse
- Spain seeks `urgent` answers from London after nuclear sub collision
- Tinder rolls out its new feature in India
- Transgenders to soon be categorised as 'third gender', can change gender after sex-change surgery