Chidambaram backs Central team’s visit to WB, Left fumes
New Delhi: Union Home Minister P Chidambaram Tuesday defended the Centre’s decision to send a three-member team to review situation in West Bengal in the wake of recurring political clashes between the Left parties and Trinamool Congress over the past few months.
Justifying the move, Chidambaram said, “It was strictly in accordance with the Constitution."
The Home Minister made this remark while presenting the monthly progress report of his Ministry here.
The Centre’s decision to send a high level team to West Bengal has evoked sharp reactions from the Left Front. Besides, several other opposition parties, including the BJP, SP, BSP have also opposed the move leading to an uproar in the Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha and a spate of adjournments on Monday.
The Left Front chairman Biman Bose today lashed out at the Centre for its decision to send a high-level team to the state.
“The centre’s move is uncalled for and unwanted. It cannot be justified under any circumstances, “he said.
He also attacked the Centre for succumbing to the pressure exerted by the Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee and blamed her for the sorry state of affairs in West Bengal.
However, Chidambaram had assured that he had provided satisfactory explanations to the opposition parties.
"I replied to them that the visit to West Bengal was strictly in accordance with the constitution. This visit was intended to help the state government to maintain law and order and put an end to inter-party clashes. They (opposition) were satisfied with my reply," Chidambaram told reporters here.
Chidambaram had on Monday said the visit was not meant as groundwork to invoking President`s Rule in the state.
Meanwhile, the team led by Additional Home Secretary (Naxal Management) DRS Choudhary today held a meeting with the State Chief Secretary.
The team also held discussions with the state`s top bureaucrat Ashok Mohan Chakraborty to find ways to put an end to political clashes.
The team is scheduled to visit some hotspots in East Midnapore, Burdwan and Hooghly districts before returning to Delhi on Wednesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly