Chit-fun scam: Mukul Roy threatens to file defamation against CPI-M leaders
Kolkata: Threatening to file defamation suit against CPI-M leaders for alleging that he had received crores from absconding Saradha Group chairman Sudipta Sen, TMC general secretary Mukul Roy on Sunday said the government will take steps to book the accused and protect investors` interest.
"These are baseless allegations. I will file a defamation suit against them (CPI-M leaders)," Roy said referring to the allegation of his receiving money from the Saradha Group chairman, who is on the run.
Roy claimed that the erstwhile Left regime had allowed chit funds to mushroom in West Bengal and alleged that the central government played a mute spectator when these fraudulent companies fleeced people.
"Chit fund companies had mushroomed in the state during the 35 years of Left rule. Since the 80s the Left Front had been supportive of these firms. Not only in West Bengal, they have also mushroomed in Left-ruled states like Tripura and Kerala," he claimed.
Alleging that the CPI-M and its leaders had made huge fortunes by using the money of chit fund companies, Roy lashed out at the central government for not taking any steps against the chit fund companies.
"The Congress should not talk much. What were the central government-regulated organisations like SEBI and RBI doing when these firms were operating? If everything comes into open, big shots of the Congress will be unmasked," Roy, the former Railway minister, said.
When asked about the allegation that paintings of Mamata Banerjee were bought by Sudipta Sen for crores of rupees, Roy added, "I don`t know anything about it. I don`t have any information on this matter."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city