College student gang-raped, murdered in Bengal
Kolkata: A 20-year-old college student was gang-raped and murdered in West Bengal`s North 24 Parganas district. Three people have been arrested, police said on Saturday.
"Following a complaint of gang-rape and murder, we have arrested three people," an officer of Barasat police station said.
The body has been sent for post-mortem examination.
The crime occurred on Friday in Barasat, some 25 km from Kolkata.
According to police, the victim, who had earlier been harassed by the men, had gone missing since Friday afternoon. Later that night, her body was found near Kirtipur in the area.
Hundreds of people have been protesting, demanding death penalty for the culprits. The protests, which started with the recovery of the body, continued into Saturday.
"We will continue protesting until (Chief Minister) Mamata Banerjee intervenes and ensures that the culprits are hanged to death," an angry protestor said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble