College student gang-raped, murdered in Bengal
Kolkata: A 20-year-old college student was gang-raped and murdered in West Bengal`s North 24 Parganas district. Three people have been arrested, police said on Saturday.
"Following a complaint of gang-rape and murder, we have arrested three people," an officer of Barasat police station said.
The body has been sent for post-mortem examination.
The crime occurred on Friday in Barasat, some 25 km from Kolkata.
According to police, the victim, who had earlier been harassed by the men, had gone missing since Friday afternoon. Later that night, her body was found near Kirtipur in the area.
Hundreds of people have been protesting, demanding death penalty for the culprits. The protests, which started with the recovery of the body, continued into Saturday.
"We will continue protesting until (Chief Minister) Mamata Banerjee intervenes and ensures that the culprits are hanged to death," an angry protestor said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves
- 1st T20: India vs South Africa - Statistical highlights