Cong seeks state, Centre intervention in Haldia impasse
Kolkata: West Bengal Pradesh Congress on Monday demanded immediate intervention of the state government and the Centre to end the deadlock at the Haldia Dock.
Congress leader Manas Bhuniya claimed the situation at the Haldia dock was deteriorating each day with the law and order situation there worsening.
Three officials of the cargo handling company Haldia Bulk Terminals (HBT) were allegedly abducted yesterday by outsiders, who also threatened them to leave Haldia and asked them not to return.
"The state government is mysteriously silent over the issue. There is administration and police. But no action is being taken. I urge the Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee to intervene immediately," Bhuniya told reporters here.
He said that the Haldia Dock, a part of Kolkata Port Trust, was the only functioning port in West Bengal. "If its existence is in peril, the entire economy of the state will be shattered."
Bhuniya said he would also send a note to the PMO and shipping minister GK Vasan asking for their intervention.
The state should immediately convene a tripartite meeting on the issue, he said.
The Congress leader also questioned the role played by the trustees of Kolkata Port Trust on this matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'