Dacoits held in Siliguri
Jalpaiguri: Police today recovered huge
quantities of arms, ammunition and explosives in simultaneous
raids at Hamiltonganj, Alipurduar and Jaygaon areas and
arrested six persons.
The six were suspected to be involved in the
September 20 dacoity in Siliguri town in which guard of a
jewellery shop was killed.
Jalpaigurti Superintendent of Police S Sen said today
that the recovered arms and ammunition included 24 nine mm
pistols (improvised), two carbines, two improvised automatic
rifles, 22 extra magazines, 270 rounds of ammunition, 11
gelatine sticks and 1,200 gm of explosive powder.
Besides, 744 gm of gold and Rs 3.45 lakh in cash were
also recovered during the raids.
The SP said that all the six were suspected to be
involved in the dacoity in a jewellery shop when a guard was
killed while resisting them.
He said investigations were in progress to ascertain
from where these arms and ammunition were procured and if
these six persons were part of any inter-state gang.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported
- Leander Paes, Sania Mirza advance at US Open
- Yakub Memon, Afzal Guru's executions were politically motivated: Justice AP Shah
- Sheena Bora case: This is how Indrani Mukerjea got idea to plot a 'perfect murder'
- OROP stalemate to end soon, Govt's draft agreement ready, claim sources