Durga Puja ends in Bengal with idol immersion
Kolkata: Teary eyed devotees bade an emotional farewell as idols of goddess Durga and other Gods were immersed in ponds, lakes and rivers of West Bengal on Vijaya Dashami on Wednesday.
Four days of revelry and celebration ended, with organisers taking out colourful processions accompanied by drums and bands to immerse the idols of Durga, Lakshmi, Saraswati, Ganesha and Kartik with much fanfare.
There was a festive look on the banks of the Ganges and other water bodies, with drums playing the immersion beats.
Children, the young and the elderly joined hands to slowly put the idols into the water.
On Wednesday morning, married women prepared the idols for their long journey home by smearing them and each other with red vermilion.
They offered sweets to the god and prayed for the well-being of their families.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok