Durga Puja ends in Bengal with idol immersion
Kolkata: Teary eyed devotees bade an emotional farewell as idols of goddess Durga and other Gods were immersed in ponds, lakes and rivers of West Bengal on Vijaya Dashami on Wednesday.
Four days of revelry and celebration ended, with organisers taking out colourful processions accompanied by drums and bands to immerse the idols of Durga, Lakshmi, Saraswati, Ganesha and Kartik with much fanfare.
There was a festive look on the banks of the Ganges and other water bodies, with drums playing the immersion beats.
Children, the young and the elderly joined hands to slowly put the idols into the water.
On Wednesday morning, married women prepared the idols for their long journey home by smearing them and each other with red vermilion.
They offered sweets to the god and prayed for the well-being of their families.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- Niti Aayog to hold consultations today with states on 15-year vision document
- Coal scam: Rathi Steel, 3 officials convicted; quantum of sentence to be declared today
- Alarm bells for Nawaz Sharif! Huge protests rock PoK, locals allege ISI rigged polls in favour of PML(N)
- Chill guys! There's still time for Deepika Padukone, Fawad Khan film
- Rio Olympics 2016: Narsingh Yadav's fate hangs in balance as NADA takes final decision today