Failure was at the camp level in Maoist attack in Silda
Kolkata: Virtually shielding higher
officials from any blame, West Bengal Chief Minister Buddhadeb
Bhattacharjee today said that failure, if any, was at the camp
level leadership when Maoists attacked Silda camp of Eastern
Frontier Rifles in which 24 personnel were killed last month.
"If there was any failure, it was at the camp
leadership level. If they ignored the intelligence report it
was a serious mistake. It will be known only after the the
inquiry report is submitted," Bhattacharjee told assembly in
reply to a question by Congress member Manas Bhunia.
Stating the incident took place at the camp in West
Midnapore district because of lack of alertness, Bhattacharjee
hoped that the probe panel comprising the home secretary, ADG
(CID) and IG (Western range) would objectively investigate it
and ascertain lapses.
To a supplementary question, he said intelligence
reports were not sent to the Home secretary or DGP and were
despatched to the camp, but what was its nature would be known
only after the probe, he said.
The camp, he said, was being shifted to a new location
at a forest beat office while locations of others were being
reviewed. "If necessary some of them will be relocated."
He said 170 people, besides 21 policemen were killed
in Maoist attacks in the state between January 1, 2008 and
January 31, this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video