Failure was at the camp level in Maoist attack in Silda
Kolkata: Virtually shielding higher
officials from any blame, West Bengal Chief Minister Buddhadeb
Bhattacharjee today said that failure, if any, was at the camp
level leadership when Maoists attacked Silda camp of Eastern
Frontier Rifles in which 24 personnel were killed last month.
"If there was any failure, it was at the camp
leadership level. If they ignored the intelligence report it
was a serious mistake. It will be known only after the the
inquiry report is submitted," Bhattacharjee told assembly in
reply to a question by Congress member Manas Bhunia.
Stating the incident took place at the camp in West
Midnapore district because of lack of alertness, Bhattacharjee
hoped that the probe panel comprising the home secretary, ADG
(CID) and IG (Western range) would objectively investigate it
and ascertain lapses.
To a supplementary question, he said intelligence
reports were not sent to the Home secretary or DGP and were
despatched to the camp, but what was its nature would be known
only after the probe, he said.
The camp, he said, was being shifted to a new location
at a forest beat office while locations of others were being
reviewed. "If necessary some of them will be relocated."
He said 170 people, besides 21 policemen were killed
in Maoist attacks in the state between January 1, 2008 and
January 31, this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Jhansi's ammunition factory was target of ISI agents
- Panel discussion on film director Ali Akbar's accusation on Madrasa
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory