File affidavit on steps taken after rape, murder: HC to WB govt
Kolkata: The Calcutta High Court on Wednesday asked the West Bengal government to file an affidavit on the steps taken to bring to justice the perpetrators of the gangrape and murder of a college going girl at Barasat in North 24 Parganas district.
A division bench comprising Chief Justice Arun Mishra and Justice Joymalyo Bagchi directed the government to file the affidavit within seven days on a PIL seeking formation of a special investigation team for probing the brutal gangrape and murder of the 20-year-old girl on June 8.
The matter would appear for hearing thereafter, petitioner`s counsel Rabishankar Chatterjee said.
The petitioner prayed for monitoring of the investigation by the High Court and a compensation of Rs 50 lakh to the next of kin of the girl, Chatterjee said.
The student, the daughter of a daily wage-earner, was returning home after an university examination on Saturday afternoon when she was dragged into a room inside the walled premises of an under construction factory where she was gangraped and murdered.
Her body was later dumped on the road.
Three persons, including the caretaker of the premises, have been arrested.
The petition also prayed for investigation of the overall criminalisation of Barasat, the district headquarter of North 24 Parganas, which is just 25 km away from the metropolis.
Barasat, on the highway to the Bongaon border with Bangladesh, has witnessed a number of gangrapes, murders and other heinous crimes in the past few years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj