GJM rejects CM`s offer for more autonomy for Darjeeling hills
Siliguri: The Gorkha Janamukti Morcha on Saturday rejected West Bengal Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee`s offer of more autonomy, power and funds for Darjeeling hills, saying it would not rest till its demand for a separate state of Gorkhaland is met.
"Darjeeling problem cannot be solved by anything short of Gorkhaland. We want separation from West Bengal. We are already mentally separated," GJM General Secretary, Roshan Giri told a news agency.
On GJM`s claim over Siliguri, Terai and Dooars, Giri said the areas did never belong to West Bengal before Independence.
The Chief Minister had yesterday dismissed formation of Gorkhaland and said the state was ready to consider more autonomy, more power and more funds for three hill sub-divisions of Darjeeling district.
He also asked the hill leaders not to demand Siliguri, Terai and Dooars in their proposed territory.
Giri said it was unfortunate that the Chief Minister had made such comments when the hill people were looking forward to the proposed political level talks, the date for which was expected to be declared by the Centre very shortly.
"This type of comment is against the spirit of talks,"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Russia to pay bonuses to athletes barred from Rio Olympics 2016
- Scorpene data leak unintentional, navy will address all concerns: Parrikar
- Day/Night Duleep Trophy: India Red crush India Green by 219 runs
- UEFA Europa League Draw: Groups, Fixtures, Top clashes – All you need to know!
- Beware! If you are woman and using elevator alone - WATCH Video