GJM suspends March 27 agitation
Darjeeling (WB): The Gorkha Janmukti
Morcha (GJM) has decided to put on hold its agitation on March 27
following President Pratibha Patil`s assent to the Gorkha
Territorial Administration Bill.
"We are happy to hear about the presidential assent to
the Bill. We express our gratitude to Chief Minister Mamata
Banerjee for her initiative to form GTA," GJM general
secretary Roshan Giri said.
Giri, however, said that the election to the GTA, when
it is formed, would depend on the inclusion of 400 mouzas from
the Terai and Dooars plains of Jalpaiguri and Darjeeling
"The elections and the board formation would be
pending until the state government clears the land stalemate
issue," he said.
Putting the GTA implementation ball in the state
government`s court, Giri said, "The delimitation process could
not be carried out until additional areas from the plains are
The Dooars lies on the foothills of the eastern
Himalayas around Bhutan while Terai is the area near the
Siwalik range, the lowest outer foothills of the Himalayas.
According to the agreement, the autonomous body of GTA
would be a 45-member body whereas the current DGHC has 28
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack