Gorkhaland bill: GJM raises `24 points` with WB CM
Kolkata: Ahead of tabling of a bill seeking
more autonomy for Gorkhaland, members of Gorkha Janmukti
Morcha met Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee with their list of
proposed changes to the proposed law claiming the draft is
different from what was promised in the July 18 declaration.
A GJM team, including general secretary Roshan Giri and
party MLA Harka Bahadur Chettri met Banerjee, Parliamentary
Affairs Minister Partha Chatterjee and Chief Secretary Samar
Ghosh to place their demands and objections to the Gorkhaland
Territorial Administration Bill, 2011 which is scheduled to be
tabled in the state Assembly tomorrow.
The GJM said it has noticed several `discrepancies` in
the Bill vis-a-vis the Memorandum of Agreement signed in
Darjeeling on July 18 and has asked for necessary amendments
before it comes up for discussion.
Giri said they had raised `24 points` and maintained
Banerjee has assured them that the government would accept the
points which would be brought in the form of official
Pointing out the `discrepancies`, Giri said, "The Bill
only mentions about executive powers and not financial and
administrative powers. The government has agreed to
incorporate the transfer of financial and administrative
powers in the Bill."
"The agreement says that the Chief Executive of the GTA
will nominate 14 members to its Executive Council, whereas the
Bill says two of the Executive Council members will be
nominated by the Governor," he said.
The GJM would not accept this because the Governor
already has powers to nominate five general members to the
council, Giri said, claiming "they (government) have agreed to
consider the GJM viewpoint in this regard."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly