GTA with 10-12 days Mamata assures GJM
Kalimpong: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Friday assured the Gorkha Janmukti Morcha that the process for implementing the Gorkhaland Territorial
Administration, the new hill council in Darjeeling, would be completed within 10 to 12 days.
"The chief minister has assured us that the process for implementing the GTA will be completed within ten to 12 days," GJM general secretary Roshan Giri told reporters here after a meeting with the chief minister.
Banerjee had taken up the GTA issue with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on February 22 in New Delhi as she had promised the GJM, which had threatened to burn copies of the
Gorkhaland Territorial Administration Bill if it did not receive presidential assent by March 27.
Earlier on February 11, the chief minister on a visit
to Darjeeling had blamed the Centre for the delay in
implementation of the GTA and said that New Delhi had sought
certain clarifications which had also been sent.
On February 28 a GJM delegation led by its President
Bimal Gurung had met Union Home Minister P Chidambaram in
Delhi and had given him an ultimatum.
Chidambaram had told the GJM that the formalities for
the bill were in process.
The GTA Bill was passed in the West Bengal Assembly on
September two last year.
The tripartite agreement was signed on July 18 last
year in the presence of Chidambaram, Banerjee and Gurung at
Pintail village, about 8 km from Siliguri.
Banerjee also announced Rs two lakh for the family
members of the three killed in police firing at Siphu on
February 8 last year, the GJM general secretary said.
The chief minister said that she would take up the
issue of electricity bills not paid by hill residents between
August 2007 and August 2011 when the GJM agitation was in full
swing, with the power minister.
A committee headed by the Home secretary would be formed to look into the cases against GJM workers and supporters was another assurance given by the chief minister.
Banerjee also assured the GJM about recruitment of unemployed youths in the hills in the police.
On the GJM`s demand for doubling of rations in the
hills, the chief minister said that she would discuss it with
the food minister.
Giri also said that the chief minister had promised to
set up a horticulture centre at Kalimpong and an orchid centre
The demand of the GJM for a university in the hills
would also be looked into. The district magistrate was also
asked to look for suitable land for setting up an engineering
college, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow