Howrah by-poll: 66.20 per cent polling recorded
Kolkata: Over 66 per cent voter turnout was recorded in the Howrah Lok Sabha by-poll in West Bengal on Sunday. The polling was peaceful.
Chief Electoral Officer Sunil Gupta told reporters that till 6 PM, when the voting closed, 66.2 per cent of the electorate exercised their franchise.
However, Gupta pointed out, as there were people still in the queue in some booths, the final percentage might increase by one or two per cent.
"The election was peaceful. There were no incidents of booth capturing or jamming," the CEO said when asked about allegations made by some political parties of malpractices during the polling.
He said there were some reports of EVM malfunctioning in some booths which were replaced by new machines.
Gupta said the polling percentage was less than recorded in the 2009 general elections and the 2011 Assembly polls.
In the 2009 general elections, the voter turnout was 74.47 per cent and in the 2011 state Assembly elections the voter turnout in seven Assembly segments under this constituency was 77.74 per cent.
He said, "It is a general trend in the state for the last 20 years in which we have seen lesser voter turnout during by-polls."
The by-poll was held to fill the vacancy left by the death of sitting Trinamool Congress MP Ambika Banerjee.
The TMC fielded former India football captain Prasun Banerjee against Congress candidate lawyer Sanatan Mukherjee and CPI(M)`s Dip Bhattacherjee, a former party Howrah district secretary.
The BJP did not field any candidate. A total of 13 candidates were in the fray.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video