Joining election fray is like getting raped: TMC candidate Dev
Kolkata: Bengali film star and Trinamool Congress Lok Sabha candidate Dev raked up a controversy by saying that joining election fray is like getting raped, but after facing flak from women`s rights activists and opposition parties he apologised for the comment.
Asked if he was enjoying his time as a contestant from the Ghatal Lok Sabha seat, his hometown in West Midnapore district, Dev, in an interview to a Bengali tabloid, said, "Enjoy....! It`s just like being raped `yaar`! You can shout or you can enjoy. (Laughs) Thats it. What more than that? Anyway when I have come (into politics), let me do the work".
In the interview, the reigning superstar of Bengali films, said, "Eighty to ninety per cent of the media is now focusing on Ghatal. The news that Dev is contesting from Ghatal has become a hot topic. It is nice that a place like Ghatal has also become popular."
The actor however later apologised for the remark saying he didn`t mean to offend anyone.
"I m new in politics. My heart is clean. No offence meant 2 any1. I respect Maa,sis al women n brothers. Dint mean 2 hurt any1. SINCERE SORRY (sic)," he wrote on Twitter.
The remarks raised the hackles of women`s rights activists and political parties including Congress, BJP and CPI(M), who condemned them.
State Congress president Adhir Chowdhury said that with this comment Dev had shown how politically immature and insensitive he was.
"This is the result of fielding actors and singers in election," Chowdhury said.
CPI(M) leader Sujon Chakraborty said, "We condemn it in the strictest sense, especially when such
a comment has come from a man who is seen as a role model by youngsters".
State BJP president Rahul Sinha also condemned the comments and even hinted that they might move the Election Commission over the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city