Jute Commissioner to launch crackdown on West Bengal mills
Kolkata: In the wake of the murder of the CEO of North Brook jute mill last week, the office of the Jute Commissioner has decided to launch a crackdown on mills over alleged wrongdoings.
"We have initiated investigation into the North Brook jute mill incident in specific and 10-odd other jute mills, as there are numerous allegations of wrongdoings there," Jute Commissioner Subrata Gupta told a news agency.
He said these mills had secured order to the tune of 70-75 percent from the government.
"We will take stern action including a ban on a jute mill from getting order from the government, if found guilty," Gupta said.
Official sources said there had been allegations over jute mills not producing jute sacking themselves, but buying them cheap from the open market and even importing them from Bangladesh to supply to the government.
The Indian Jute Mills Association claimed that lack of order and piling of stocks had led to labour unrest which resulted in the killing of the CEO of North Brook jute mill HK Maheswari.
Gupta, however, acknowledged that there had been some decline in the government order in the previous fiscal, but argued that such things were common in view of the cyclic nature of any commodity including jute.
He said that in 2005-06, the government order for BT Will sacking was 14.16 lakh bales which had jumped to 23.44 lakh bales in 2013-14 despite dilution in mandatory packaging order.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you