KLO leader released due to police mistake, surrenders
Malda: A KLO leader, who had been arrested from Bengaluru and lodged in a correctional home here, was released instead of another inmate following an error by the police and later surrendered.
A probe has been ordered into the case, DIG Malda Range, Satyajit Banerjee said.
Two police personnel--general record officer Jiten Ray Sarkar and constable Prasanta Ghosh were suspended for negligence of their duties, Superintendent of Police at Malda, said.
Nabanu Burman, a close aide of underground Kamtapur Liberation Organisation (KLO) top leader Malkhan Singh who had been charged with sedition, following his alleged involvement in a shootout in a moving bus last year at Habibpur here, had been lodged in the jail since last month after his arrest in March end in Bengaluru, where he had fled.
He was released suddenly last night, following a police instruction though he had not been produced in court during the day nor his bail petition heard.
Infact it were two KLO linkmen Kumud Burman and Kartik Mondol, also lodged in the same prison, who were produced in court yesterday in connection with the same firing case and were granted bail, Correctional Home Superintendent D Bhutia said.
While Kartik was released from jail at around 9 PM, Kumud was not allowed to go as he is facing another case of supplying counterfeit notes, he said.
The mix-up came to light when Nabanu after emerging from the jail contacted Kamtapur Peoples Party central committee member Subash Burman over his sudden release and Burman contacted Public Prosecutor Tirtha Basu. It was found that Nabanu`s name had been erroneously mentioned by the police in place of Kumud Burman in its instruction.
Thereafter, Nabanu surrendered at around 1 AM on the Subash Burman, who had also contacted the police.
Nabanu had been brought to Malda from Bengaluru by the state police on transit remand and Malkhan Singh, who had been on the run, was arrested from Malda district in April.
KLO is demanding a separate Kamtapur state comprising Cooch Behar, Darjeeling, Jalpaiguri, North and South Dinajpur and Malda districts of West Bengal and Kokrajhar, Bongaigaon, Dhubri and Goalpara districts of Assam and has been blamed for a string of attacks in north Bengal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly