Left Front announces candidates for Assembly by-election
Kolkata: The Left Front in West Bengal on Monday announced names of candidates for the three Assembly by-elections scheduled to be held on February 23.
The by-elections will be held in Nalhati in Birbhum district, English Bazar in Malda district and Rejinagar in Murshidabad district.
"While Dipak Chatterjee of the Forward Bloc will fight from the Nalhati seat, Kaushik Mishra of the CPI(M) will contest from English Bazar and Sirajul Islam Mondal of the RSP in Rejinagar," Left Front chairman Biman Bose said.
The Nalhati Assembly seat fell vacant after its MLA Abhijit Mukherjee, son of President Pranab Mukherjee, quit his seat to fight the Lok Sabha by-election from Jangipur.
English Bazar and Rejinagar seats fell vacant after their MLAs Krishnendu Choudhury and Humayun Kabir resigned as MLAs to join the Trinamool Congress.
The Congress and Trinamool Congress are yet to announce their candidates for the seats.
Apprehending large-scale violence in the run-up to the upcoming Panchayet polls, Bose demanded that the local elections be conducted in three phases.
"We want the elections to be held in three phases as both the number of voters and booths have increased in the Panchayat areas and secondly, we also feel that there will be violence to prevent opposition parties from fielding their candidates," Bose said while reminding that the 2008 Panchayat polls had been held in three phases.
The veteran leader also came down on Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee for conducting a party rally at Metro channel in central Kolkata at a time when other political parties had been restricted from holding rallies there.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016