Mamata Banerjee attends midnight mass
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee attended the midnight prayer and participated in Christmas carol at St Paul`s Cathedral here.
She visited the church premises along with Trinamool Congress MP Derek O`Brien and took the blessings of Archbishop.
She also greeted people on the eve of Christmas.
"I wish Merry Christmas to all my brothers and sisters in the state, country and all over the world. Tonight I am attending prayers with my Christian brothers and sisters. May we all celebrate the festival with joy, love and cohesion with the entire humanity and spread the message of goodwill among all," she said in her Facebook post.
The Christmas celebrations began in the city with thousands of people visiting the churches.
The security in the city and areas near Park Street have been tightened as scores of people are thronging the churches and restaurants on the illuminated street.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt