Mamata Banerjee holds Kali puja
Kolkata: The doors of West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee`s spartan home at Harish Chatterjee Street here were thrown open on Saturday to the people on Kali puja.
Banerjee stood with hands folded greeting people and VIPs at her single storey house for the puja she has been holding for the last 36 years since her days as student leader.
Among the visitors from different parts of the state were also cabinet colleagues, senior bureaucrats and police officials, party leaders, MPs and MLAs, as Banerjee, clad in her trade mark cotton saree, also supervised preparations for the puja and over saw the cooking of `bhog`.
Banerjee was on fast which she would be broken after offering flowers to the goddess during the puja at midnight. Seventy seven widows from an old age home visited Banerjee`s residence to take part in the puja.
A small cultural program was also organised for the widows. Keeping in mind the large number of visitors at Banerjee`s residence police strengthened security arrangements in and around the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH