Mamata favours permanent settlement for hawkers
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata
Banerjee on Sunday said she favours permanent settlement for
"I want a permanent settlement for recognised hawkers
and I know some politicians don`t want it for the sake of
earning money from them," Banerjee said.
Talking to a TV channel in the backdrop of fire in a
city building, Banerjee said she was concerned about use of
inflammable materials, like plastic sheets, by hawkers in
congested areas which would have serious effect in case fire
A huge sum is allegedly extorted from hawkers by a
section of civic authorities, police and the unions every
This is why they are against issuing ID cards which
would give hawkers a legitimate right to carry on with their
trade, Hawker Sangram Committee officials said.
Since `Operation Sunshine` was launched to evict
hawkers in 1997, the number of hawkers had grown in leaps and
bounds and was now estimated over 1.2 lakh.
There had been some initiative during the Left Front
government for the distribution of identity cards but it never
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery