Mamata favours permanent settlement for hawkers
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata
Banerjee on Sunday said she favours permanent settlement for
"I want a permanent settlement for recognised hawkers
and I know some politicians don`t want it for the sake of
earning money from them," Banerjee said.
Talking to a TV channel in the backdrop of fire in a
city building, Banerjee said she was concerned about use of
inflammable materials, like plastic sheets, by hawkers in
congested areas which would have serious effect in case fire
A huge sum is allegedly extorted from hawkers by a
section of civic authorities, police and the unions every
This is why they are against issuing ID cards which
would give hawkers a legitimate right to carry on with their
trade, Hawker Sangram Committee officials said.
Since `Operation Sunshine` was launched to evict
hawkers in 1997, the number of hawkers had grown in leaps and
bounds and was now estimated over 1.2 lakh.
There had been some initiative during the Left Front
government for the distribution of identity cards but it never
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister