Mamata orders probe into phone tapping during LF regime
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata
Banerjee, who frequently alleged during the Left Front regime
that her phone was being tapped, on Thursday said an inquiry has
been ordered into the eavesdrop on political leaders, scribes
and others by the earlier government.
No rules were followed in tapping phones of political
leaders, journalists and even common people during Left Front
regime which would be inquired into, she told reporters here.
"We have asked the chief secretary, the home secretary
and Kolkata police chief to probe at whose instance and for
what purpose such phone tapping had taken place," she said
after a meeting with senior IPS officers of the Kolkata
Police, including police commissioner R K Pachnanda.
"Phone tapping is a violation of privacy. Phone tapping
is done in case of terrorists and criminals and that too with
the permission of the home ministry," she said.
She said there was public grievance for a long time about
phone tapping without the permission of the Home ministry.
Chief Secretary Samar Ghosh and the Home Secretary G D
Gautama were present at the meeting.
Prior to the Assembly elections, Banerjee had alleged
several times that her phone and of some of her party leaders
were being tapped. She had also complained to the Union Home
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog