Mamata wants May 8 to be national holiday
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Tuesday said she will demand that May 8 be declared a national holiday to mark the 150th birthday of Rabindranath Tagore.
"I will demand from the Centre to announce a national holiday on the occasion of 150th birthday of Rabindranath Tagore. I was able to get the Centre`s nod for national holiday on ocassion of Gurudev`s 125th birthday," she said announcing state-wide 150th birth anniversary celebrations of Swami Vivekananda, Prafulla Chandra Ray and Dwijendra Lal Ray besides Tagore after a meeting with artists and ministers.
pm to allow more people to participate.
Banerjee said this year Rabindra Jayanti celebrations would be held for a week at the block level between 2 pm to 10 pm to allow more people to participate.
In January next year, an international-level event will be organised by the state and a replica of Swami Vivekenanda`s statue at Chicago would be installed in the city, besides other programmes on the occasion of his birthday which falls in that month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love