Mamata wants May 8 to be national holiday
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Tuesday said she will demand that May 8 be declared a national holiday to mark the 150th birthday of Rabindranath Tagore.
"I will demand from the Centre to announce a national holiday on the occasion of 150th birthday of Rabindranath Tagore. I was able to get the Centre`s nod for national holiday on ocassion of Gurudev`s 125th birthday," she said announcing state-wide 150th birth anniversary celebrations of Swami Vivekananda, Prafulla Chandra Ray and Dwijendra Lal Ray besides Tagore after a meeting with artists and ministers.
pm to allow more people to participate.
Banerjee said this year Rabindra Jayanti celebrations would be held for a week at the block level between 2 pm to 10 pm to allow more people to participate.
In January next year, an international-level event will be organised by the state and a replica of Swami Vivekenanda`s statue at Chicago would be installed in the city, besides other programmes on the occasion of his birthday which falls in that month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news