Mamata wants May 8 to be national holiday
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Tuesday said she will demand that May 8 be declared a national holiday to mark the 150th birthday of Rabindranath Tagore.
"I will demand from the Centre to announce a national holiday on the occasion of 150th birthday of Rabindranath Tagore. I was able to get the Centre`s nod for national holiday on ocassion of Gurudev`s 125th birthday," she said announcing state-wide 150th birth anniversary celebrations of Swami Vivekananda, Prafulla Chandra Ray and Dwijendra Lal Ray besides Tagore after a meeting with artists and ministers.
pm to allow more people to participate.
Banerjee said this year Rabindra Jayanti celebrations would be held for a week at the block level between 2 pm to 10 pm to allow more people to participate.
In January next year, an international-level event will be organised by the state and a replica of Swami Vivekenanda`s statue at Chicago would be installed in the city, besides other programmes on the occasion of his birthday which falls in that month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...