Mamata`s Sunday `darbar` becomes popular
Kolkata: Sumona Mondal, 25, has both legs paralysed after a road accident. Having lost all hopes of standing on her feet again, the change of regime in West Bengal and Mamata Banerjee taking over as Chief Minister has suddenly made her optimistic.
Mondal arrived in Kolkata on Sunday at Didi`s (as Banerjee is popularly called) Kalighat house to meet her and seek financial help at the Chief Minister`s Sunday mass "darbar" (audience).
Mondal, a resident of Murshidabad district, became paralysed after a road accident in 2005. Since then her father, a Trinamool Congress supporter and hawker by profession, tried hard to get aid for her treatment in Hyderabad.
Her father brought her on a wheelchair and waited to meet Banerjee during the open forum where she listens to public grievances.
"We need Rs 5 lakh for my treatment in Hyderabad. I hope Didi would help us," Mondal said.
Hundreds of people with similar personal problems gather in front of the Chief Minister`s house every Sunday since she assumed office.
Banerjee`s meeting with the help seekers is also termed as "Janaganer Darbare Mamata" (People at Mamata`s court) by a section of the media.
Admirers from across the state, including far off districts, assemble at Banerjee`s residence every Sunday with sweets, posters and garlands.
Banerjee comes out usually at around 11 am and interacts with the
crowd, giving them a patient hearing and provide them assurances.
On many occasions she asks her aides to get the details from the people and ensure steps are taken to solve their problems.
If Banerjee is too busy with her work and unable to meet the people, then party leader and union minister Mukul Roy meets the people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over SP leader Azam Khan's controversial remark on Muslim population
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowance Committee likely to submit report on 20 February
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO