Mamata’s ultimatum to traders over fires
Kolkata: After the devasting blaze in the Surya Sen market here on February 27, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Saturday gave traders and the business community 15 days to take measures against fires.
Giving the deadline, Banerjee told a programme here that they should also form a taskforce to implement fire safety measures.
"Closing a market is not a solution. You have to do business, but at the same time, you have to take fire safety measures in markets. You should form a task force and go around markets in the metropolis and ensure safety measures."
She asked the Kolkata Municipal Corporation, the police, the fire brigade and the disaster management department to sit with traders to chalk out measures to prevent fires in markets.
Over 20 people had lost their lives in the fire at the Surya Sen Market.
Referring to fire hazards at the state secretariat, Writers` Buildings, the chief minister said, "There are many small chambers at the back and it will be difficult to exit. Some immediate steps have to be taken there."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Panel discussion over why opposition stopped PM Modi from speaking?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- This happens only in Pakistan? You won't believe what this boy did in front of his lady teacher - WATCH
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Unseen Video: On Yuvraj Singh, Hazel Keech's wedding reception, MS Dhoni greets couple with a hug